The Nokia N8 has today received its new PR 1.1 firmware update, taking it up to v13.0.16. This PR 1.1 also recently became available for the Nokia C7 last week, and its nice to see universal updates become available for the Symbian^3 platform. The Nokia C6-01 will also set to receive this same update. The new firmware should be available for most of you right now, although it may take a while for it to become available to everyone. Hit the jump to find out what’s new.
Most of the updated features may not directly be visible, but together, they aim to enhance the user experience, improving the quality and stability of the device.
Nokia N8 PR 1.1 (v13.0.16) Changelog:
- Meeting requests can be accepted directly from email invitations.
- Updates to Nokia Email – Performance improvements, ‘unread emails’ flag added to homescreen widget, meeting requests can be accepted directly from email invitations.
- Maps integration in email, which means people can view the meeting location on the map when the address is mentioned in the location field in the invite.
- New Quick Office 6.4 editor version, which offers editing possibilities and allows zooming in & out in Word documents.
- Three high quality games will also be preloaded on new devices – Need for Speed Shift, Real Golf and Galaxy on Fire. (In some countries, Need for Speed is replaced with Asphalt 5). For current N8 users, these are available for free from Ovi Suite & Ovi Store.
- Web updated to 220.127.116.11.
- Adobe Reader updated to 2.5.653.
- Dialler now works in landscape mode.
- Previous performance updates are rolled in and, in the full (Ovi Suite-installed, >100MB) update, there’s the option to provide a better working starting point than hard resetting a PR 1.0 device.
How To Update The Firmware
There are many ways of updating the firmware on your Nokia handset. To install the software on your device using FOTA (Firmware Over-The-Air), type in *#0000# on the home screen or go to Device Manager. Then select Options, Check for updates and follow the on screen prompts. If the firmware update is not immediately available via FOTA, or the device you are using does not have support for this service, you can also update your firmware using NSU (Nokia Software Updater) and or Nokia Ovi Suite on your PC. Once you plug your device in, select the PC Suite option, ensuring that the phone has a Sim Card inserted and the profile is set to General. Some devices support UDP (User Data Preservation), which will preserve all your data and content on your device during these updates. However we still recommend you do a full backup in order to guarantee the safety of your data. Please share your thoughts and experiences with the new firmware in the comments below.Tags | Breaking News, Changelog, Email, Firmware, Firmware Over-The-Air, FOTA, N8, Nokia, Nokia Software Updater, NSU, PR 1.1, Software Update, Symbian, UDP, v13.0.16