The Nokia N900 has finally received its anticipated new firmware update taking it up from v3.2010.02-8 (PR 1.1.1) to v10.2010.19-1 (PR 1.2). The new update brings a host of new features including a bunch of new games, substantial email and web browser enhancements, and menu system UI changes. There are many more additional feature including a long press to initiate the numbers, etc. Hit the jump to find out more, and if you experience additional changes, please share them below in the comments. The new firmware will gradually make its way round to you depending on your region and product code.
Nokia N900 PR 1.2 Changelog
- New games on offer in Ovi Store (Jurassic 3D Rollercoaster, Zen-bound, Angry Birds (level pack), Sygic, Kroll, Weatherbug, and GoGadget).
- Email has been improved with the ability to accept or decline an event invitation directly from your inbox.
- Facebook IM chat has been incorporated.
- Video calling has been implemented, allowing users to talk face-to-face.
- Video in Skype and Google Talk.
- The web browser now features a button to activate the portrait mode and a few more option while in the portrait mode.
- Ovi Maps gets updated with changes to the UI – No voice navigation yet.
- Menu system UI changes with the first level now customisable.
- Long press to enter numbers/symbols on the keyboard.
- A revamped virtual keyboard.
- Changes to the camera UI, and a night mode for both photos and video.
- Qt 4.6.2 is now pre-installed.
- USSD codes now work.
- Type to search for apps in the Application Manager.
- Another addition is an email widget as well for the desktop.
How To Update The Firmware
There are many ways of updating the firmware on your Nokia N900. To install the software on your device using FOTA (Firmware Over-The-Air), simply launch the Application Manager and click update. There you will see a Maemo5 update. If the firmware update is not immediately available via FOTA, you can also update your firmware using NSU (Nokia Software Updater) on your PC. Once you plug your device in, select the PC Suite option, ensuring that the phone has a Sim Card inserted and the profile is set to General. Some devices also support UDP (User Data Preservation), which will preserve all your data and content on your device during these updates. However we still recommend you do a full backup in order to guarantee the safety of your data. The N900 is known to wipe off some data when updating via NSU so please be careful and backup your content. Please share your thoughts and experiences with the new firmware in the comments below.Tags | Breaking News, Changelog, Firmware, Firmware Over-The-Air, FOTA, Maemo 5, N900, Nokia, Nokia Software Updater, NSU, PR 1.2, Service Provider, Software Update, Touch UI, UDP, v10.2010.19-1